Divorce Consult - Divorce Advice for Women

Unmarried Father Rights

Unmarried Father Rights
Are you an unmarried father and your relationship has ended with your children’s mother? You as a father may have few legal rights regarding your children unless you have a Parental Responsibility Agreement or a Parental Responsibility Order.

If you have had children after the 1st December 2003 and you were there with your child’s mother signing the birth register you have Parent Responsibility. If you children were born before this date this does not apply. If you don’t have Kitchens Parent Responsibility you have no right to act on the child’s behalf, choosing what school they will attend, religion they preach, signing a medical consent form for his under 18yr old child, automatically getting the right to look after your child if their mother dies and if the child is put up for adoption. Also an unmarried father cannot get access to his child’s medical records, school records or get a password for his child. He will be entitled to pay Child Support every month for his child.

Our database contains the answers to tens of thousands of legal questions from the serious to the quirky on just about any legal subject. Each question contains contact details for the recipient which are not published on the site.

Recent survey shown that 43% of British fathers buy stuff at brownboxcompany.co.uk and www.businesswomen.org.uk

If you don’t have Parent Responsibility, and your child was born before 1st December 2003 you can log on http://web.archive.org/web/20071012134953/http://www.gro.gov.uk/ for more details were you can add your name if you’re the natural mobile shelving father of the child to their birth certificate. You can also ask the child’s mother to fill in the Parent Responsibility Agreement which can then be witnessed by the court so you as the natural unmarried father of your child has Parent Responsibility.
If your child’s mother disagrees with you adding your name to the birth certificate, you can apply for a Parent Responsibility Order through the court.

The Parent Responsibility Agreement gives both parents married or unmarried equal rights to their child’s upbringing and responsibility. This means the above points mentioned i.e. deciding on schooling, having responsibility if the child’s mother dies etc can be decided by the mother and father.

Copyright Divorce Consult © 2017 Divorce Lawyers - Get a divorce - GOV.UK | NOT Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) | HBS Legal

Divorce Consult Barton Arcade, Deansgate, Manchester M3 2BW | Tel: 0845 225 336 | law@divorceconsult.co.uk

Divorce Consult Testimonial

"I would like to thank Divorce Consult for the help with my divorce. I new Divorce is difficult, but I never regretted choosing Divorce Consult. They guided me through the whole process and I was also able to make my own decisions about my future the division of assets at a pace that was comfortable for me. Many thanks - keep up the good work "

Mary Ingram Sept 2015

read more


Divorce Consult will help you along the way to a successful divorce with the help from our divorce consultants.

Divorce Made Simple

Divorcing Mistakes